BEGINNINGS for Parents of Children Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, Inc., has served families as a non-profit organization in North Carolina,since 1987. BEGINNINGS was established to provide emotional support and access to information as a central resource for families with deaf or hard of hearing children, age birth through 21. BEGINNINGS provides an impartial approach to meeting the diverse needs of these families and the professionals who serve them. These services are also available to deaf parents who have hearing children. The mission of BEGINNINGS is to inform and empower parents as they make decisions about their child. In addition, BEGINNINGS is committed to providing technical assistance to professionals who work with these families to help the children achieve full participation in society.
BEGINNINGS was founded on the premise that parents, given accurate, objective information about hearing loss, could make sound decisions for their child. These decisions involve placement, communication methodology and related service needs. Our staff is committed to providing services in a family centered atmosphere to facilitate active involvement of parents in their child's social, emotional and educational growth. BEGINNINGS actively assists hearing parents of deaf or hard of hearing children and deaf parents with hearing children during the early decision making stages and throughout the educational career of the student.
- Staff members help parents understand their rights and assist them in obtaining the qualitative services they desire for their child.
- Provide emotional support and objective information to parents in a family-centered atmosphere
- Help parents feel empowered so they become informed decision makers
- Help parents get services they need for their child
- Promote early identification of hearing loss
- Promote awareness of early intervention programs and the impact of early intervention services.
You can contact BEGINNINGS at 919-850-2746 or through their website at www.ncbegin.org.